Specialist Physiotherapy Service
St. Luke’s Specialist Physiotherapy Service launched in January 2013, with funding from Macmillan Cancer Support, aims to help people living with cancer and other life limiting diseases be as independent and mobile as possible, helping them benefit fully from other treatment they may be receiving or have already received, as well as coping with distressing symptoms.
Physiotherapy support is also available to carers and families to help them in their caring role, for example safe moving and handling techniques.
St, Luke’s Physiotherapy Service works collaboratively with the patient, their family, and with any other professional or Hospice service involved in their care.
What we offer
- Information & Advice on pain relief, use of TENS, positioning
- Assessments, with regards to equipment & mobility aids
- Life style management
Treatment including :-
- Heat Therapy & exercises to improve mobility, weak muscles, and restricted movement due to scarring after surgery or radiotherapy & to aid relaxation
- Chest physiotherapy to manage symptoms such as breathlessness, fatigue/tiredness
- Carer’s support for moving and handling patient
- Group Therapy – e.g. for breathlessness, fatigue management, exercise classes and many more
- Self help techniques- to manage all activities of daily living more effectively
Referrals are accepted for anyone living with or affected by cancer or any other life challenging illness living in South West Essex, and their carers and families.
Referrals can be made through your
- General Practitioner
- Hospital Consultant
- District Nurse
- Macmillan Nurse
- Any Hospice Service
- Self Referral
Initial and ongoing assessments are carried out by one of our physiotherapists who are specialist in cancer and palliative care as well as other long term conditions.
Assessments generally take from 1 ½ to 2 hours and will include advice and an opportunity to discuss options available.
Making an Appointment & further information
Treatments and assessment appointments are available at St. Luke’s Hospice, Basildon; St. Luke’s House, Corringham, community clinics and patient’s own homes.
Transport can be arranged in some cases
To access service or to speak with one of our Specialist Physiotherapy team - telephone 01268 524973
Specialist Physiotherapy Service Leaflet