Communicating with our supporters
As a supporter of St Luke’s Hospice we like to keep you updated about the work of the hospice because without you the care we provide to our patients and families could not continue.
There has been a lot of press attention recently about how charities communicate with their donors and supporters. We understand the concerns that have been raised. While it is important for us to keep in touch with those that make our work possible, it is essential that we do this in a way that is appropriate, timely and in-keeping with your wishes.
The data we collect in the course of our activities is for our sole use and we want to assure you that as a supporter we will ensure that:
- Your data is safe with us. We will only use your information so we can tell you about our activities and communicate with you
- We will not pass on your details to other charities or organisations and we do not buy data from third parties
- We are especially careful and sensitive when engaging with vulnerable people, including families with life-limited conditions
- If you don’t want us to contact you or you have a preferred method of communication, just tell us and we’ll always respect your wishes
- Whenever we call you we will always start by asking if you are happy to take the call
- We do sometimes work with other agencies to promote our fundraising when it is more cost effective to do so. For example, we work with the Local Hospice Lottery to recruit lottery players and we have a robust contract in place. We do not hesitate to act swiftly and decisively if we find they are not meeting the high standards that we set
- We strictly adhere to all fundraising and data protection legislation and guidelines and we are registered members of the Fundraising Regulator.
- Everyone managing and handling personal information understands that they are responsible for following good data protection practice
- Queries about handling personal information are promptly and courteously dealt with
- We take all necessary steps to ensure that personal data is kept secure at all times against unauthorised or unlawful loss or disclosure.
In addition, we ensure that we do not make marketing calls to individuals who are registered with the Telephone Preference Service unless you have given us your permission to do so.
We encourage you to call us if you want to check the validity of fundraisers collecting in the community on behalf of St Luke’. Please note that St Luke’s Hospice would never knock on your door and ask for money. The only representatives we authorise to fundraise on our behalf in this way are our lottery canvassers (in partnership with the Local Hospice Lottery) and they do not collect cash.
If you feel that fundraising is taking place fraudulently, please notify us immediately and Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040. To identify charity fraud please visit Action Fraud.
If you want to speak to someone about the contact details held by us or to change your communications preferences, please call:
Individual & Regular Giving/Database Officer 01268 524973
Thank you for your continued support – we couldn’t do it without you.