This free service, in partnership with Macmillan Cancer Support, offers information and advice about health as well as specific illnesses. The Information Service is run from the Information Resource Centre based at St. Luke’s House in Corringham and is widely accessible across the locality via the 100 bus route.
We work closely with all St. Luke’s Hospice services as well as local hospitals, GP’s, Community Nurses, Macmillan Cancer Support and Macmillan Welfare Benefits Advice team, helping people to link in with social care services as well as helping to arrange for financial assessment.
How you can make use of the Service:-
- You can come along between the hours of 9am-4pm, Monday to Friday and speak to a St. Luke’s representative. Staff and volunteers are on hand for a chat and a cup of tea in a calm environment that allows you to discuss your concerns.
- Information is provided according to your individual needs. There is a range of booklets and other sources of information available that can be taken away.
- A computer and printer designated specifically for your use is available to access more detailed information should you wish. Staff are on hand to assist you with the technology and to access appropriate websites as necessary.
- When appropriate, and with your consent, we can make onward referrals to another service e.g. your GP, district nurse, hospital nurse, Macmillan Welfare Benefits Advice team, Macmillan nurses in hospital and at home, consultant or social care.
- The Information Resource Service also has access to complementary therapy and counselling and following assessment can make referrals to help with health and emotional well-being.
Support groups are currently running from the service for carers affected by and living with heart failure and upper gastro intestinal cancers. There are also further groups being developed which run from the Service. Please ring to enquire on (01375) 648170.
For professional referrals please use this referral form.
Dove Community Counselling Service (based at St Luke’s House)
Lukes Counselling Service for Children and Young People (based at St Luke’s House)
Information Resource Service (based at St Luke’s House)
Youth Service (based at St Luke’s House)